Google

Friday 1 May 2009

Pragmatism Meets Oikonomics

One way to put theories to the test is simply to race them. Literally. On a race track. Let 'em fight it out, see which one wins.

So it was decided after only a small quantity of wine that Will and the folks at DB Max should be asked to make some room for Pragmatist and Oikonomics in the DB Max rowing triathlon on May 4 at Mallory Park.

Thus, by lunchtime Monday you should know whether it is better to base your personal theories about Life on trial, error and bitter experience or by extrapolating from careful, patient, highly-trained observation (trade: "deep hanging out").

Right. I'm off to the gym. But will leave you with Gus Mckechnie's extraordinary contribution to the world of sporting endeavour.

6 comments:

Bruce said...

Let the battle of methodologies commence! My main aim is not to be beaten by too many individuals of the opposite sex and anyone twice my age (or both).

non cogitabam ergo contendo.

Pragmatist said...

Yes, I too prefer not to think while on the ergo. Six years of Latin, me ;-)

Bruce said...

hmmm looks like my bizarre transition injury and a slow run let me down http. Where do i get myself 'pragmatized'?

Pragmatist said...

Right here!

Well done on a great first attempt in a howling wind with a swelling thumb. The wind cost me over 4 mins on the bike compared to last year, but I was up on the run.

We should make it the best of 3 - Reading on 16 August and Marlow on 4 October.

Bruce said...

My wife is still laughing at the circumstances of my thumb injury - shoes are dangerous things I have concluded. Best of 3 - why not - sounds like a good challenge.

Looks like your bike time has one extra lap in it? it doesn't add up to me? which means you would be equal to last year if you hadn't decided the headwind was so fun you would have another go at it!

Pragmatist said...

Doh! That might explain the bike time, though even the guys ahead of me were a fair bit slower than last year. My computer was on the blink so I couldn't sense-check my lap counts on distance. Looks like I blew it. FYI, the times for the row also has 30 secs of T1 in it (same for all?) - I know it was about 9.30 when I got off the machine and there's no way I can transition in 44secs ;-).

Will have to bring someone to hold up a lap board at Reading!

Related Posts with Thumbnails